Home » [move]

[move] Running Just as Fast as I Can: Week 8

22 December 2009 by Carly Holmes 8 Comments

WSU ShoesI looked on The Run Wichita calendar the other day and noticed it had been updated with 2010’s races. So I picked one. I did not think it through first, obviously.

In seven weeks, I will be running 4 miles. Seven weeks. Less than 50 days. I think the reality of this situation is starting to hit me. What is the reality exactly? I currently can’t run 1/4 of a mile without thinking I’m going to die and I have to run 16 of those in seven weeks. I wasn’t a math major (I had to have a tutor just to pass college algebra), but I’m pretty sure something isn’t right with this equation. Seven weeks to go from running 1/4 of a mile to 4 miles = me panicking.

Shocker Fitness is on a two week break and, with only seven weeks to go before race time, I decided it was time for a new plan of attack. I did what any reasonable person would do and, after I stopped freaking out, I googled it. “How to go from couch to 5K in seven weeks” led me to my new plan. CoolRunning.com has a plan that helps build up endurance. Seeing something mapped out for me helped me to stop panicking and get back on track.

I bought a stop watch, talked my little sister, Caty, into coming with me and tonight we started the plan. For twenty minutes, we alternated between jogging 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds. At the end of the workout, I was sweating and could barely breathe. On paper, jogging 60 seconds doesn’t seem like much, but when we actually gave it a try, it was tough. Well, for me it was. Caty thought it would be funny to run backwards next to me and laugh at me as I gasped for air. I was not amused. I did it though. It may not have been pretty, but day one of the new plan is complete.

I’ve also decided that I need some new tunes to go with the new routine because I’ve listened to my current mix too many times. So readers, leave me a comment and tell me what music pumps you up, Arnold style.

As a bonus, use a valid email address when commenting and I will compile the very first verb [ICT] workout mix CD full of reader suggestions and send it to you.

Related posts:

• Technorati
  • Ping.fm

8 Comments »

• Ryan Schartz said:

Anything by the Veronicas especially Untouched and Bad Romance by Lady Gaga

• Matt Burr said:

When I work out… and I rarely do.. I put in the hardest fastest metal I can find! Metallica, As I Lay Dying, Zao, Slayer, Megadeath… etc.

RAWR!!!!

• harjo said:

Hands down, my fav tune to run to is Yell Fire by Michael Franti and Spearhead. I just want to run like Brad Pitt on the treadmill in Burn After Reading!

Some other tunes on my workout play list:
    Uncle Sam Godd*mn by Brother Ali
    Joker and Thief by Wolfmother
    Porch by Pearl Jam
    House Dog Party Favor by Disco Biscuits
    Keep The Devil Down by North Mississippi Allstars

• Shauna said:

I agree with Ryan! I have The Veronicas’ Untouched on when I workout!
    I really enjoy listening to Emery too! It really gets me pumped!

• Timothy said:

My favorite is DJ F/stop aka @joshdutcher’s Aggregator disk. Also “Lose yourself” by Eminem is pretty awesome.

• Quentin said:

Selections for my current workout playlist ;)

The Bravery / No Breaks
    The Cardigans / My Favorite Game
    Dance Hall Crashers / All Mine
    Killers / Midnight Show
    Kings of Leon / Taper Jean Girl
    Muse / MK Ultra

• Jamie said:

Quentin, we are on the same wavelength. I’ve gotta go listen to all the songs I don’t recognize, now.

If you want running music, look for something in the 90-95 BPM range; that’s the tempo at which your feet should be moving when running. If you’re wanting straight cardio or weight-lifting music, look for 120-150 BPM; the correspondence to your heart rate will pump you up.

My picks?
    - Look What Happened (Less Than Jake)
    - A Praise Chorus (Jimmy Eat World)
    - Bad Reputation (Joan Jett)
    - One Way or Another (Blondie)
    - I Believe in a Thing Called Love (The Darkness)

Pretty much anything by Less Than Jake, Jimmy Eat World, and Yellowcard. If you ever need tips on finding the right BPM, just let me know.

And here’s a link to my cycling podcasts, just in case you need a boost on the bike: http://trihardist.blogspot.com/search/label/podcast

• Timothy said:

Oh and another favorite I forgot

Fort Minor – Remember the Name

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

Anyone is free to leave comments on any verb [ICT] post. Although verb [ICT] staffers don't actively monitor comments, we will consider removing any comments we find to be offensive, libelous, hateful, etc. If you see such a comment, please click the "report comment" link. Comment threads may be closed after a period of time to prevent spam.

You can use these tags:

This is a Gravatar-enabled website. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.