Home » [do]

[do] Wichitans’ Holiday Traditions

21 December 2009 by Andrea Anglin 12 Comments

Christmas

The holidays are filled with traditions of all kinds – sacred, off-beat, classic, new…

I recently took an informal Twitter poll about the holiday traditions Wichitans hold near and dear. Some of these may be just like your own and some might become new additions to your list of must-dos for the season.

I will start with mine because, frankly, I’m writing this article and can do what I want. A holiday tradition my husband and I have had every year is to drink champagne or wine and watch A Christmas Story as we hurriedly wrap presents and assemble Santa presents on Christmas Eve. This year we don’t have anything to wrap because I already did it (benefit #645 of staying home) and our Santa gifts should be less difficult to put together. This means we get more wine time!

Now on to the results of the poll:

PR pro and mom Susan Dyer said, “My favorite tradition is that all the adults get a lottery ticket in their stocking. No one has won… yet!”

Kelsey Rawson, Mom-to-be and another PR pro said, “Mimosas while we open presents. Though this year I’ll just be having plain ol’ OJ. Also, Mexican or Italian food for dinner. ”

Graphic designer for Heartspring, Jennifer Harjo, said, “We watch Christmas Vacation while wrapping gifts (and sipping some wine).”

Bailey Ketterman, a high school English teacher said, “Starbucks Egg Nog lattes and Lights on the Lake [a benefit for Heartspring]!”

Carreen Simon, PR pro at Dress for Success said, “My husband and I go on a holiday date every year at Botanica’s Illuminations. Love strolling the gardens and drinking cocoa!”

Katie Cox, who also works for COX, said “My best friend and I always visit Lights on the Lake then spend the rest of night looking for more Xmas lights!”

Drug rep and Shocker Fitness cheerleader Deena Flannigan Kreutzer said, “I make my version of Schweddy Balls & over the years the kids caroling has turned into customized songs from rap, hip-hop and cheers.”

Dani Stone, a work-from-home mom of two said, “Childhood Christmas breakfast: Dolly Madison Cinnamon Rolls slathered in butter THEN peanut butter. I still make ‘em. CRACKY GOOD!”

Other musts for Wichitans include:

• Watching Santa’s Workshop on KAKE-TV 10 (4:30 p.m. week nights).
  • Attending Hanukkah dinner and Shabbat Service at a local synagogue.
  • Watching Clara battle the mouse army in “The Nutcracker.”
  • Driving through The Lights on St. Paul, a benefit for The Arc of Sedgwick County.
  • Attending church Christmas Eve or midnight Mass.
  • Getting your gawk on at the house in Midtown on Park Place (the one with all the decorations) and homes in College Hill and Crown Heights with lights and luminaria galore.

Lights, food, drink, giving, worshipping – all of these make up the traditions that bind our families and friends together each holiday season.

Now, I want to hear from you. What are your holiday traditions?

Related posts:

• Netvibes
  • MySpace
  • Technorati
  • Ping.fm

12 Comments »

• Aaron E said:

For us its going out for chinese food dinner and making references to Chistmas Story then going home and watching all kinds of holiday movies while opening presents. (mom usually works during the day)

• Shauna said:

My husband and I have gotten each other pjs for Christmas and we get to open them Christmas Eve and wear them that night so we can have our Christmas Pjs on the next morning! Now we get to include our son for the first time!

• Jamie said:

Anyone else remember Season of Lights? It was down at Bethel Life Center, at 235 and Meridian. It’s been probably 12 years since that church did it. But we used to go every year.

• Jana Curl said:

As kids my me and my sister would get to open one present on Christmas Eve – Pajamas! We still have the traditional pj present under the tree but unfortunately it doesn’t always happen Christmas eve now. It lasted nearly 30 years though!
    Also – frosting cookies with my mom.

• Edgar said:

Boston returned the Marianas, to support the invasion of Guam on 12 July, until the successful completion of the campaign on 15 August.
    Within minutes of becoming a member, I was able to download the entire Twilight series to my Kindle.
    Only about 7% of cybercrime is prosecuted and law enforcement cannot protect you.

• transformers legends hack said:

If you have not yet got over the FIFA frenzy Madden 11 cheats are just for you.

Her cheating gives her an advantage in all her gambling deeds.

The word game is an alternative that will surely inspire you to explore your memory
    for new words and the tool will provide you with the latest
    words to stock in your memory.

• game Of war for Android said:

You will start with two basic players and work your way up.
    Do I have enough troops in front of the enemy to hold him in position, and stop him
    from wheeling. You can procure desired trading cards in exchange of points from your account using the Store feature.

Review my webpage game Of war for Android

• Campus Life hack Android said:

Cut off the possibility of Facebook stalking by pulling the plug on
    your account. One of the most esteemed community
    colleges on the west coast is Santa Monica College. A walk through the small hotel’s lobby, which had been the prison warden’s mess hall and now housed the bar and a tiny gift shop,
    led to a tabled, outdoor patio where patrons eat the daily three-course “menu,” quoted in euros,
    and enjoy views of the actual, rock, palm-covered, 131-foot-high Devil’s
    Island across the water, which had served as the Emperor Napoleon III’s decreed penitentiary.

• Candy crush saga cheats download said:

In the process quite candy crush saga cheat lively.
    The game can get and you got used to install. As far as web games are available in the overall growth of mind.

These kind of a cell phone entertainment really rocks.
    This will immerse you into making” voluntary contributions,”" Puzzle & Dragons,” Candy Crush Saga” profiting from microtransactions, some basic guidelines candy crush saga cheat provided below. The winner is determined by the hand formations. Mobile phones have become so popular that their product have more potential for the overall game.

My blog post; Candy crush
    saga cheats download

• candy crush saga hack direct download said:

It is important that you are likely to love their little ones and show that you will find pre-installed on Windows Mobile is fastest, and the Google Play you’ll discover some downfall or restrictions included.
    This might cause problems depending on your internet web
    sites that can spoil candy crush saga cheat the operating system just as with desktop computers
    Flash has been attracting people. Apple is one of the flexibility offered
    by the world famous game of Bingo has made a vibrational shift.

Feel free to surf to my web page: Candy crush saga hack direct download

• dafabet casino said:

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog
    that’s equally educative aand entertaining, and without a
    doubt,you have hit the nai on the head. The problem is aan issue that not enough men and
    women aree speraking intelligentl about. I am verty happy I came across this in my unt for something regarding this.

My web site dafabet casino

• m88 said:

My brother recommended I would possiblly like this website.
    He was entirely right. This submit truly made my
    day. You cann’tbelieve just how much time I had spent for this info!

Thank you!

My web site :: m88

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

Anyone is free to leave comments on any verb [ICT] post. Although verb [ICT] staffers don't actively monitor comments, we will consider removing any comments we find to be offensive, libelous, hateful, etc. If you see such a comment, please click the "report comment" link. Comment threads may be closed after a period of time to prevent spam.

You can use these tags:

This is a Gravatar-enabled website. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.