[do] Rock the Mike at These Wichita Karaoke Joints
FACT: there are four types of people found at a bar while karaoke is happening.
The first group consists of the good singers. Usually these people were involved in choir during high school and/or have at least a general concept of rhythm and how to sing in tune.
The second group thinks they are good singers. These are the people who are convinced a talent scout will hear them and they will be on the next plane to Nashville. In general these people can’t carry a tune and should probably stick to singing in the shower or car.
Then there is the group that can’t sing and embraces it. They down some cold beverages and are usually loud and proud in their inability to sing but, hey, they have fun doing it.
Finally there are the people who accidentally end up at the bar unaware that karaoke will be happening. They are typically found shooting pool and giving a running commentary about those who are singing.
Regardless of which group you and your friends fall into, there is no denying that karaoke is a good time for all. For me there is nothing more fun than a night out that involves singing a little Pat Benatar before the night is over. In case you’re wondering, I fall into group three. I know I can’t sing, but that doesn’t stop me from grabbing the mic and hitting it with my best shot.
Here are a handful of my favorite Karaoke spots, the nights when you can rock the mike, and the song you’re most likely to hear:
- Maggie’s Scotch and Soda (3827 W. 13th): Every night. Most likely to hear: “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler.
- O’Briens (5205 E. Kellogg Dr.): Tuesday and Saturday. They also have 2 for 1 drink specials on those nights. BONUS. Most likely to hear: “Love Shack” by the B-52’s.
- Yogi’s Bar and Grill (2804 S. Seneca St.): Friday and Saturday. Most likely to hear: “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
- Stadium Sports Bar (620 W. Maple): Thursday and Saturday. Most likely to hear: “Shoop” by Salt-N-Pepa.
- Bourbon Street Bar and Grill (3863 S. Seneca St.): Thursday and Saturday. Most likely to hear: “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor.
- Chalet Sports Bar (3030 N. Penstemon St.): Saturday. Most likely to hear: “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper.
- Club Indigo (126 N. Mosley St.): Monday and Thursday. Most likely to hear: “My Humps” by Black Eyed Peas.
- Larry Buds Sports Bar and Grill (2021 N. Woodlawn St.): Tuesday and Thursday. Most likely to hear: “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen.
- Champs Bar and Grill (1106 S. Seneca St.): Every night but Thursday. Most like to hear: “Picture” by Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock.
- Jayne’s (911 E. Morris): Every night. Most likely to hear: “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks.